The story of the 2011 NFL season has been the Green Bay Packers. Before losing at Kansas City last week, the defending Super Bowl Champions began the season 13-0 behind the outstanding play of their quarterback, Aaron Rodgers.
Green Bay is one win away from clinching home-field advantage throughout the NFC playoffs, and will go for that 14th win of the season against the rival Chicago Bears on Christmas Day. As a tribute to the Packers “cheese-head” fans, we bust out the cheesiest recipe that we know, Fried Squeaky Cheese.
You’ll need to dust off your dutch oven or deep fryer for this one, but it’s worth it. These appetizers are delicious enough on their own, but they are even better with a dipping sauce such as ranch, BBQ sauce or bacon mayonnaise. Feel free to use other seasonings if so desired, such as cayenne, garlic salt or onion powder.
* 10-oz. package of cheese curds
* 1 cup Flour
* 1 cup Water
* 48 oz. Vegetable oil
* ½ cup Corn starch
* ¾ tsp. Baking soda
* 1 tsp. Seasoned salt (preferably smoked)
* 2 cups Bread crumbs
1. Heat oil in fryer to 375 degrees.
2. Mix flour, water, vegetable oil, corn starch, baking soda and salt with whisk to make batter.
3. Place curds in batter and stir until coated.
4. Place bread crumbs in large bowl.
5. Using small batches, shake off excess batter then place in hot oil to fry for 45 seconds or until golden brown.
6. Remove from oil and place on plate lined with paper towel.
7. Continue frying in small batches.