Super Bowl XLVI in Indianapolis is still nearly two weeks away, but it’s never too early to start preparing for the Big Game. This week we take a look at a recipe for a true Indiana state delicacy, Hoosier Fried Chicken. The total cook time in a cast-iron skillet for this recipe is about 45 minutes.
HOOSIER FRIED CHICKEN
* 3 lbs. Chicken, cut up
* ½ cup Flour
* ½ cup Milk
* 1 tbsp. Salt
* ¼ tbsp. Ground pepper
* ¾ tbsp. Paprika
* ½ tbsp. Poultry seasoning
* ½-inch Cooking oil
1. Preheat pan to medium-high heat and add cooking oil.
2. Pour milk into shallow saucer for dipping purposes. Wash chicken and pat it dry.
3. Combine flour and seasonings into plastic bag. Dip chicken in milk, then coat with plastic bag mixture.
4.Place biggest pieces in center of skillet with smaller pieces on the outside. Brown chicken for 15 minutes, turning only once.
5. Reduce heat to low and when cooking slows, cover tightly and simmer for 20 minutes, moving pieces around to prevent them from sticking.
6. Remove small pieces and drain. Cook large pieces five more minutes.