The NCAA Tournament is underway, with the Round of 64 starting up on Thursday. If you’re looking for an appetizer that is sure to induce smiles, check out this recipe below. Bourbon, bacon, shrimp and avocado are quite an incredible combination. Enjoy!
BOURBON, BACON, SHRIMP & AVOCADO POCKETS
* Sugar cookies (3-in. in diameter)
* 1 package (2 sheets) Frozen Puff Pastry
* ¼ cup Bourbon
* 1 pkg. Bacon (cut into small pieces)
* 12 oz. Shrimp (medium-large raw, peeled, deveined, tail-less shrimp defrosted, cut in pieces)
* Creole-style Seasoning
* 1 medium Sweet onion, diced
* 1 bunch Scallions, finely chopped, using all whites and about ½ of greens
* 1 tbsp. dark Brown sugar
* 2 tbsp. Butter
Avocado Cream Dip Ingredients
* 1 Hass Avocado (Large)
* 4 oz. Cream Cheese, room temperature
* 2.5 oz. Soft herbed cheese (half of the pack)
* 1 tsp. Minced wet garlic
* ¼ tsp. Salt
Sweet Corn Pico de Gallo Ingredients
* 1 can sweet corn
* 1 ripe tomato, diced
* ½ sweet onion, diced
* Salt & Pepper, to taste
* ½ bunch fresh Cilantro, chopped
(This makes a lot, for you to use as leftovers for nachos or to put on top of chili)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Roll out defrosted puff pastry, cut into 18-to-20 squares.
3. In frying pan, melt butter with bourbon and sugar, then add onions and scallions and cook until onions become translucent. Add bacon and fry until bacon is cooked through and almost crispy.
4. On 10 of the squares of puff pastry, place a big dollop of the Avocado Cream Dip (pureeing above ingredients in food processor). Top with a few shrimp pieces and sprinkle with Creole seasoning. Add heaping spoonful of bacon & onion mix. Cover with a square of puff pastry and seal the edges by pressing the sides or crimping with the tines of a fork. Repeat process until all puff pastry is used.
5. Bake pockets for 25 minutes at 400 degrees. Remove from oven and serve with generous portion of remaining Avocado Cream Dip and entire Sweet Corn Pico de Gallo (combine above ingredients in mixing bowl).