Soup is a great tailgate recipe when it is cold out. And it is still pretty nippy out. So here are a couple great ones for the cold weather tailgate.
Loaded Potato Soup
- 4 (6-ounce) red potatoes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup prechopped onion
- 1 1/4 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 bacon slices, halved
- 1.5 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1/3 cup)
- 4 teaspoons thinly sliced green onions
- Pierce potatoes with a fork. Microwave on HIGH 13 minutes or until tender. Cut in half; cool slightly.
- While potatoes cook, heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion; sauté 3 minutes.
- Add broth.
- Combine flour and 1/2 cup milk; add to pan with 1 1/2 cups milk.
- Bring to a boil; stir often.
- Cook 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; stir in sour cream, salt, and pepper.
- Arrange bacon on a paper towel on a microwave-safe plate.
- Cover with a paper towel; microwave on HIGH for 4 minutes.
- Crumble bacon.
- Discard potato skins.
- Coarsely mash potatoes into soup.
- Top with cheese, green onions, and bacon.
Hearty Chipotle Chicken Soup
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups frozen corn
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, seeded and minced
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender.
- Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add the broth, beans, tomatoes, corn, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, cumin and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Stir in chicken; heat through.
- Garnish with sour cream; sprinkle with cilantro.