We are going to highlight the wonderful watermelon the next couple of days here on Inside Tailgating. No summer party is complete without this juicy fruit.
- 8slices seedless watermelon, wedges, 1 . 5 inches thick
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- How to get your watermelon wedges: Cut the watermelon in half, place cut side down on the table, then cut into slices, about 1 1/2 inches thick. Cut each slice in half, creating two wedges (if your melon is really big, you may need to cut each slice into three wedges). You can leave the rind on or cut it off, totally up to you.
- Lightly sprinkle the wedges on both sides with the salt. Stand the wedges on their edges on a rack over a sink or pan and let them drain for half an hour.
- Preheat the grill to high.
- After the watermelon has drained, rinse each piece under cold running water. Place each piece between two folded paper towels and gently but firmly press to remove excess water. You should stop just when you feel the watermelon begin to crunch.
- Brush the watermelon lightly on both sides with the olive oil. Grill over high heat until grill marks have formed and the melon is slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from grill and sprinkle with sea salt and a little fresh ground pepper.
And did you know it makes a great ingredient for a cocktail?
- 2 parts Sauza® Blue Silver 100% Agave Tequila
- 1 part DeKuyper® Watermelon Squeeze
- 2 parts pineapple juice
- 1 part cranberry juice
- Watermelon slice (for garnish)
Build in order over ice in a glass then stir. Garnish with a slice of watermelon on the rim.14