I want to go to a purely southern style tailgate. I want to see southern food and southern girls in great dresses.
I guess I need to hit a SEC football tailgate. I
was thinking of showcasing some great southern food i would like to see at my dream “southern” tailgate. here is what my menu would look like:
Fried Green Tomatoes
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 medium-size green tomatoes, cut into 1/3-inch slices
- Vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- Combine egg and buttermilk; set aside.
- Combine 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, cornmeal, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl or pan.
- Dredge tomato slices in remaining 1/4 cup flour; dip in egg mixture, and dredge in cornmeal mixture.
- Pour oil to a depth of 1/4 to 1/2 inch in a large cast-iron skillet; heat to 375°.
- Drop tomatoes, in batches, into hot oil, and cook 2 minutes on each side or until golden.
- Drain on paper towels or a rack.
- Sprinkle hot tomatoes with salt.
Shrimp and Grits
- 1 cup yellow grits (not instant)
- 1 cup grated sharp white cheddar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 jalapeño, seeded, diced
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup 1/3″ cubes tasso, andouille sausage, or bacon
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (optional)
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter, divided
- 16 large shrimp (about 1 pound), peeled, deveined
- 1/4 cup (or more) beer
- 1/4 cup low-salt chicken stock
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- For grits:
- Bring 3 cups water to a simmer in a large saucepan. Gradually whisk in grits. Turn heat to low; gently simmer until grits begin to thicken. Continue cooking, stirring often and adding water by 1/4 cupfuls if too thick, until tender, about 1 hour. Stir in cheese, butter, and jalapeño, then cream. Season with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
- For shrimp:
- Meanwhile, heat a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add tasso; sauté until fat begins to render, about 5 minutes (if tasso is very lean, add 1 tablespoon oil to skillet). Add garlic and 1 tablespoon butter; stir until butter melts. Add shrimp. When garlic begins to brown, add beer and chicken stock. Simmer until shrimp is cooked through, about 2 minutes. Remove skillet from heat; set aside.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoom butter to skillet; swirl to melt and cover bottom of pan. Crack eggs into pan and cook until whites are just set but yolks are still runny, about 3 minutes.
- Divide grits among bowls, forming a well in center. Spoon shrimp mixture into center of grits. Top with egg. Sprinkle tarragon over.