From Wikipedia: “A sausage is a food usually made from ground meat, often pork, beef or veal, along with salt, spices and breadcrumbs, with a skin around it. Typically, a sausage is formed in a casing traditionally made from intestine, but sometimes synthetic.”
People love taking a sausage type item and adding it to bun. Anthony Bourdain has said that every culture eats some type of “meat in tube form”.
Recipe and images courtesy of Executive Chef John Johnson, Four Seasons Hotel New York
Four Seasons Hotel New York is located at 57 E 57th Street. It is a ritzy I.M. Pei–designed hotel with a soaring lobby and even more soaring dishes. ABC News recently interviewed Chef Johnson and featured this very dish.
- 1 green olive baguette or ficelle bread, approximately 8-10 inches long
- 1 sweet sausage of your choice
- ¼ cup red and yellow pepper, julienned
- ¼ cup White Onion, chopped
- ¼ cup canned San Marzano crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 peeled garlic clove and 1/8 teaspoon garlic, minced
- pinch smoked paprika
- pinch Espelette pepper
- 4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- Fill a medium pot halfway with cold water and add sausage.
- Bring to a boil and shut off the flame.
- Let sausage sit in water until water has cooled to room temperature.
- Remove sausage from water. Grill sausage and put aside until peppers are cooked.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil.
- When oil is hot add sliced onions and minced garlic.
- Cook until tender and then add peppers, tomato paste and smoked paprika.
- Lower temperature, add a splash of water.
- Continue to slowly cook down the peppers and onions until soft.
- Season peppers with salt and pepper.
- Slice grilled sausages once cool.
- Cut baguette lengthwise (but not all the way thru) and drizzle with olive oil.
- Rub the inside with peeled garlic clove.
- Grill bread, butterflied open and face down on the grill.
- In a heavy sautée pan, heat up the pepper mixture and add sliced grilled sausage.
- When entire mixture is warm, place it into grilled baguette.
- Garnish with sweet hot cherry peppers, and sliced olives.