We all scream for ice cream. And you need something to finish up your meal after all the buffalo, hot sauce and greasy but awesome food you are having at your tailgate. So here is a simple ice cream recipe followed by a not so simple rum soaked ice cream sandwich from our friends at A History Of Drinking.
Vanilla Ice Cream
- Whisk all ingredients in a 2-quart pitcher or large bowl until blended. Cover and chill 30 minutes.
- Pour milk mixture into freezer container of a 1-quart electric ice-cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. (Instructions and times will vary.)
- Remove container with ice cream from ice-cream maker, and place in freezer 15 minutes. Transfer to an airtight container; freeze until firm, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- ½ cup Flor de Caña Rum
- ¾ cup raisins
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ¾ cup + 2 tablespoon
- 2 tablespoon Flor de Caña 7 Year Grand Reserve
1. In a saucepan heat first listed Flor de Caña until hot but not boiling. Pour onto raisins and ensure raisins are well covered. Seal with plastic food wrap and allow raisins to absorb Flor de Caña overnight at room temperature. Toss the mixture occasionally to ensure that raisins absorb all Rum.
2. Bring milk, cream and sugar to a full boil and remove from heat. Add vanilla extract and second listed Flor de Caña and cover with plastic food wrap. Place in refrigerator overnight.
3. If using an ice cream machine that uses a bowl which needs to be frozen place in freezer and set freezer on lowest setting.
4. Following day: Drain raisins and add any non absorbed Rum to ice cream mixture. Place raisins in freezer.
5. Churn ice cream mixture, when ice cream becomes thick and is nearly done add frozen raisins. Place ice cream in freezer.
6. Sandwich ice cream between your favorite two cookies.
*For best results soak raisins and prepare ice cream a day ahead of churning.