Last Updated on 08/19/2021 by Inside Tailgating
The biggest rivalry in men’s college basketball takes place on Wednesday night when the Duke University Blue Devils visit the University of North Carolina Tar Heels. With campuses separated by just eight miles, these two basketball powerhouses have combined for nine national championships and 33 Final Four appearances.
The rivalry began in 1920 and Wednesday will mark the 233rd meeting between these schools. UNC leads the all-time series 131-101. To prepare you for the big showdown, we give you this amazingly cheesy spread borrowed from North Carolina’s official web site. The recipe makes 7 Cups, and can either be inhaled as a spread on crackers (or Wheat Thins to save some pounds), or serve as the belly of an unbelievable pimento cheese sandwich. Enjoy the game and savor the cheese!
TAILGATE PARTY SPREAD
* 8 oz. shredded Pepper Jack Cheese
* 8 oz. shredded Extra-Sharp White Cheddar Cheese
* 8 oz. shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
* 8 oz. shredded Smoked Gouda Cheese
* 8 oz. grated Parmesan Cheese
* 2 Jalapeño Chiles, seeded & finely chopped
* 1-2 oz. jar Pimentos, drained
* 1½ cups Mayonnaise
* ½ cup Cider Vinegar
* 2 tbsp. Honey
* Tabasco Sauce to taste
* Black Pepper to taste
1. In a large bowl, combine the five cheeses listed in the ingredients (pepper jack, white cheddar, sharp cheddar, gouda, parmesan).
2. Stir in jalapeños and pimentos.
3. In separate bowl, combine remainder of ingredients (mayonnaise, vinegar, honey, Tabasco sauce and black pepper).
4. Add these ingredients to the cheese mixture and mix well.