NFL Championship week is here, and just four teams remain in the hunt to become Super Bowl champions. The San Francisco 49ers played in the most thrilling game this past weekend, beating the New Orleans Saints on a touchdown with nine seconds left in regulation.
The 49ers now host the New York Giants on Sunday for the NFC Championship. Being one step away from the Super Bowl, you better believe the tailgating outside of Candlestick Park is going to be championship worthy. One such delicacy some of the locals fire up is the Grilled Mini Caprese Pizzas.
This is a pretty simple recipe that can be prepared well before you start the grill. The recipe doesn’t call for specific measurements, so how much you want to make is completely up to you.
GRILLED MINI CAPRESE PIZZA
* Refrigerated (or homemade) pizza dough
* Fresh mozzarella cheese (cut into bite-sized pieces)
* Olive oil
* One-Two tomatoes
1. Preheat grill to medium heat. Roll out the pizza dough on a flat surface.
2. Cut the dough into small circles with small bowl to make mini pizzas. Roll leftover dough pieces together, flatten and repeat by cutting into small circular cutouts.
3. Brush both sides of dough with olive oil. Spray grill with non-stick spray.
4. Grill dough about 5 minutes, or until grate marks appear. Flip the dough, then, with recently grilled side up, add a piece of basil, tomato slices and lastly, the mozzarella cheese.
5. Grill for 5 minutes or until cheese has melted. This recipe can also include meat such as pepperoni or cappicola.