Last Updated on 04/14/2021 by Inside Tailgating
Too often we see a tailgate party full of just men. The occasional woman is seen serving up some food for the guys in attendance. But woman play an important part in this culture. They can celebrate and enjoy sporting events and other gatherings just as well as men can do.
We are not just talking about women gathering to see the next Sex In The City sequel or Nicholas Sparks movie. Women love sports of all types. And they should be included in a tailgate party.
Women also like the same type of food that men enjoy. They can be as rowdy and dirty as any group of men. But we are going to pretend that we don’t know that and come up with some ideas for an all female tailgate party.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups whipping cream, divided
- 1 tbsp turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl and stir with a fork to blend. Stir in 1 3/4 cups whipping cream, or just enough to bring mixture together into a wet dough.
- Turn dough out onto a light floured surface and pat or roll to about a 1/2 inch thick
- Use a 2″ round cutter to cut out rounds, gathering and re-rolling scraps as needed until you have about 25 rounds. Place about 1-in. apart on a baking sheet, brush the tops lightly with remaining cream, and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 20 min or until tops and golden and scones are baked through.
Spinach Pie Bites
- 300g pkg frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup snipped chives or finely chopped green onions
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup crumbled Greek, Macedonian or Balkan feta, about 4 oz
- 4 sheets phyllo, defrosted
- 2-4 tbsp olive oil, or melted and cooled butter
- Arrange racks at top and bottom thirds of oven. Preheat oven to 375°F. Squeeze out liquid from spinach. Pat with kitchen or paper towel until very dry. In a medium bowl, whisk egg white. Add chives and nutmeg, and whisk until evenly mixed. Add spinach and feta. Stir to mix.
- Lay 1 sheet of phyllo on the counter. (Cover remaining sheets with a dampened kitchen or paper towel until ready to use.) Cut phyllo on counter lengthwise into 4 strips. Brush with olive oil.
- Mound scant 2 tbsp spinach mixture on corner of 1 phyllo strip (see diagram). Fold corner diagonally across phyllo to cover filling. Press around filling, forming a triangle. Continue folding diagonally, as shown, working toward the end of the strip, maintaining triangular shape. Tuck in loose ends. Lightly brush top with oil. Place on greased baking sheet. Continue with remaining ingredients, creating 16 triangles and arranging on 2 large baking sheets.
- Place baking sheets on top and bottom racks of oven, and bake until pies are golden around edges and lightly golden on top, about 12 min, switching position of baking sheets halfway through. Cool slightly before serving, at least 5 to 10 min.
- 6 kiwis, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups plain Greek yogurt, preferably 2%
- Stir kiwi with honey and lemon zest in a medium bowl until combined. 2. Alternate layers of kiwi and yogurt spooned into 4 glass cups. Serve immediately.