Last Updated on 04/15/2021 by Inside Tailgating
The Masters is Magical. Spring has sprung when the azaleas bloom, and ideal tailgating weather has arrived in the South. Unless you are one of the approximately 35,000 per day patrons making the trip to Augusta, GA, you will most likely be one of the millions watching it on television.
5 things to help you do some homegating The Masters:
- Check out the TV Schedule for Planning – ESPN shows the Par 3 Contest from 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM on Wednesday and has Live Coverage on Thursday and Friday from 3:00 PM to 7:30 PM. CBS picks up coverage on Saturday from 3:00 PM to 7:00 PM and Sunday from 2:00 PM to 7:00 PM. If you are like me and need more coverage, you can get news and information from CBS Sports Network and the Golf Channel throughout the week. In addition, there is the Masters.com website, the best in Sports.
- Set up multiple TVs – If you have DirecTV, then you know that there are multiple channels you can watch during the event. If you don’t have DirecTV or multiple boxes, just use the Masters.com website. It has multiple channels of live streaming and one of them is the CBS Broadcast. Others include: Amen Corner, Holes 15 & 16, Featured Group 1, Featured Group 2 and Masters Radio. Get your Chromecast or favorite streaming stick ready and enjoy coverage outside of the regular TV coverage.
- The Food – To bring The Masters Experience to your house, Pimento Cheese and Egg Salad Sandwiches are a must. To make it as authentic as possible check out these recipes from The Daily Gazette and individually wrap them up in cellophane with a green tint. At a minimum, offer some chips and cookies as well. Obviously, you can get much more elaborate with the menu, but why? Keep it simple and limited to items found at the actual event.
- The Drink – The Masters offers soft drinks, water and beer. There are no brand names associated with these items. For beer, offer two choices, Import and Domestic. Just pick two brands and roll with it – you can even create a guessing game or pool out of this to identify the brand. Import beer goes into green plastic cups and domestic beer goes into white. Line them up on a bar or table and let your friends grab their choice. Even though liquor is not available on the course, If you want some cocktail options at home, my personal favorite is a Mint Julep. Gin is the top spirit to enjoy during The Masters. Make an Azalea or just go Gin and Tonic, Gin and Soda or Snoop Dogg (Gin and Juice).
- Play Games – The top backyard game to play during The Masters is certainly Ladder Golf. Set up a tournament our round robin to play. The Masters is the most popular office pool event for Golf. There are several different styles that can be played most likely there is someone in your office that has a passion for office pools. If you have not gotten involved in Daily Fantasy Sports (DFS), this could be a great time to start and get your feet wet with the DraftKings Fantasy Golf Millionaire. If interested in learning more, we have added some insight with How to Make One Million Dollars while Watching The Masters article.
Try out our ideas for homegating The Masters and share your ideas and experiences in the comments below. Don’t forget to tag us on social in your tailgating and homegating posts, so we can highlight what you’re up to!