Last Updated on 04/15/2021 by Inside Tailgating
Springtime is here and with it NASCAR and MLB spring training. Whether a baseball or race fan, and no matter how much the weather is or isn’t cooperating, we can still think summertime, hot weather, and bratwurst sizzling on the grill. From personal experience, I know beer brats are the absolute best – my husband makes terrific brats – and he just does it from memory. This recipe I found on sofabfood.com looks a lot like what he does, so you’re welcome, I’m passing it on for my favorite tailgating following.
- 1 large onion
- 1 pound uncooked bratwurst
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cans of beer
- Buns, for serving
- Mustard, for serving
- Peel and slice the onion in 1/2-inch thick rings.
- In a medium pot, place the onion, bratwurst, and butter. Cover with the beer and bring to a boil. Lower to simmer and cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes, or until brats are cooked through.
- Strain the liquid, reserving onions and brats. Brats may be grilled immediately, or refrigerated until ready to grill.
- When ready to grill, preheat grill on high. Cook brats on all sides until dark golden and warmed through.
- Serve on buns with reserved onion and mustard.
Homegating Tip: Too cold to tailgate? Want to “homegate”? You can brown these brats up in a skillet over medium heat after boiling and serve or get out your favorite electric grill and sizzle ’em up. Check out our Inside Tailgating Spotlight on the Johnsonville Sizzling Sausage Grill here.
Be sure to let us know how you like it or share your favorite bratwurst recipes and tips!