Last Updated on 04/15/2021 by Inside Tailgating
On Monday, January 11, the college football National Championship will be played in Glendale, Arizona. If you are heading out to the big event or planning a home viewing tailgate party here is a couple Arizona specialties to get you by.
Arizona Mexican Tamale Pie
- 3/4 pound ground beef or turkey
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 can (15 ounce size) black beans
- 1 can chipotle chiles en adobo
- 1 can (8 ounce size) stewed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce (from chiles)
- 4 ounces Cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 box cornbread mix (prepared into cornbread batter, set aside)
- Brown and saute meat, onions, pepper and garlic on the stove in a large pot.
- Add cumin.
- Add beans, tomatoes and chiles, and adobo sauce.
- Saute for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add cilantro.
- Pour into a glass baking (quart and a half approximately at least) pan.
- Pour the cornbread batter over the meat mixture.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes at 325 degrees F.
Arizona Ranch Style Beans
- 2 pounds dry pinto beans
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large onions, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 can (4 ounce size) taco sauce
- 1 can (4 ounce size) roasted green chiles
- 1 can (16 ounce size) diced tomatoes
- Soak beans overnight or bring to boil, turn off, let stand 1 hour.
- Drain, cover with water, add salt and boil for about an hour adding water to cover as needed.
- Add onion, garlic, black pepper, cumin, taco sauce, chiles and tomatoes.
- Cook over reduced heat until beans are tender, approximately 1 1/2 hours.